Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Bad Night!!

For all those that likes to check out the night scenes of various countries, remember to bring a partner of the opposite sex with you when you are here in Dubai! And even that might not get you in! I had a bad experience last friday and it really left a bitter taste in the mouth.

My friends (4 guys & 2 girls, including me) were going to this R&B disco club at some hotel after hanging out at some pub earlier in the evening. When we reached the club, there were a swarm of people crowding at the entrance. My friend Marc (US NG) manage to squeeze to the front and get the attention of the bouncers. He was told that to get into this club, you must come in a couple, ie a guy with a girl. Hearing that, we quickly got to know 2 Egyptians ladies who were very nice in agreeing to be our "partners" so as to get the 2 extra guys (one is me!! Haha) in. So we thought that the problem is solved. When its our time to go in, 2 guys in front (Marc & Nizar) and the 4 girls start making their way in. When it comes to my other friend and I, we were stopped! Marc quickly explained to the bouncer that we are in a group and that we have 4 guys and 4 girls. But the bloody ass bouncer refused to listen and keep pushing Marc in. And the sickening part is, he threatened Marc, saying "Do you want to go in anot? If you want, just shut up and go in!" We were feeling really pissed and Marc was still trying to explain to that bouncer. By this time, he was already about to burst and punch that ass. Luckily we managed to stop him. So in the end, we walked off without entering and as we walked off, I turned back and still saw tons of people begging the ass bouncer to let them go in. WTF man!!

Well, I do not know what reasons the bouncer has for stopping us. But I guess its probably out of all these,

1.) Its their business tactic so that in the end, there will be more girls inside then guys.
2.) They do not believe that the 2 egyptians were part of our group! Which is bullshit!! Haha.
3.) The last and most disturbing, that maybe they discriminate against Asians!!

If it is the last reason, I am not really surprised. Cause I already feel a mild level of discrimination in this society. To me, Dubai is all about money. There is this materialism and individualism behaviour which you can sense it everywhere. In the malls, pubs, resturants and even in peoples' conversation. Some of the places, its especially strong while some are still ok. So generally, when the shop helpers/bouncers/whatever look at you whenever you step into the shop, you get a feeling that they are seeing whether you have the money anot. I know its probably the same for most modern societies, but I just feel that it is especially strong over here. And back to the point of being Asian, I think asians (and this is just my own opinion) here are not being appreciated as much as the other nationalities. I do not know why but maybe they think that Asians are not as rich as the others. But I will find it out before I go back. I want to know where Singaporeans or Asians stand in other parts of the world. It just wakes you up and takes you out of your comfort zone and to let you be aware of what's happening in this world.

So for someone like me who has been "protected" since young at the safe havan of Singapore, this job rotation has really benefited me greatly. And pls do not be alarmed by this post. I am still being treated really well by my friends here. They are really a great bunch of people to hang out with and I feel a part of them. So no worries.

No comments: